Frequently Asked Questions

Our Frequently Asked Questions page includes answers to many commonly asked questions about Food Safety First and food safety training requirements throughout Australia.

Still can’t find what you’re looking for? Why not get in touch and ask us directly? We’ll be happy to help!

A Food Handler is anyone that prepares, handles or serves food as part of their day-to-day job. There are many professions that handle food in some capacity even if it is not the main focus of their job and under Australian law, they must be trained in food safety.

A Food Safety Supervisor is a little different. In many parts of Australia, including Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory, it is a legal requirement that at least one person from every food business is nominated as a Food Safety Supervisor. This is necessary in order for food businesses to obtain a food business license, which is required to operate legally.

Food Safety Supervisors need to undertake more comprehensive food safety training than Food Handlers. Both types of training can be undertaken via an online short course.

Food Safety Supervisors require Level 1 and Level 2 training – whereas Food Handlers only need Level 1 training, or it’s equivalent. Often those embarking on Food Safety Supervisor training have already done Level 1 and only need to complete the Level 2 part of the course.

Food Safety First offer both Food Safety Supervisor (Level 2) and Food Safety Supervisor (Level 1 & 2) training, as well as the Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) course.

If you are taking Food Safety Supervisor (Level 1 and 2) then you will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for one or more of the following industries:

  • Retail
  • Hospitality
  • Health & Community
  • Food Processing
  • Transport & Distribution

Simply select the appropriate industry or industries when completing the Final Submission at the end of the course.

If you complete an accredited course with Food Safety First, you will receive a Statement of Attainment that is recognised across all states and territories of Australia.

The Statement of Attainment will contain details of the units of competency attained, the date on which it was awarded and information about the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) issuing the document.

If you intend to work as a Food Safety Supervisor in New South Wales, you will also need a Food Safety Supervisor certificate from the NSW Food Authority. Food Safety First is an approved provider of these NSW certificates and you can select this as an option for purchase when you enrol on the Food Safety Supervisor course. There is a small fee associated with issuing this certificate.

This Student Handbook is designed to provide you with all of the information that you need to make an informed choice, and as a reference guide throughout your training and assessment.

Please click here to download the document.

If you require further information or have any questions about the content of this handbook please send us an email via our Contact Us page or call 1300 856 836.

Each state and territory in Australia has different requirements for food safety and food safety refresher training.

Here are some useful links to find out more about the legislation in your area:

ACT Health – Food Safety (ACT) –

Food Authority (NSW) –

Department of Health – Food Safety (NT) –

Queensland Health – Food Safety (QLD) –

Department of Health – Food Safety (SA) –

Department of Health & Human Services – Food Safety (TAS) –

Department of Health – Food Safety (VIC) –

Department of Health – Food Safety (WA) –

Paying for your course is easy! Simply click on ‘Enrol now’ for the course you want and follow the prompts.

Food Safety First accepts payment by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal. As soon as your payment has been made you will be sent an email immediately with details of your username, password and how to access the course.

All the prices on our website are in Australian Dollars (AUD). Please check the price of our products before placing an order.

Nationally accredited courses in Australia are GST exclusive, and so GST is not included on our tax invoices for these products. Non-accredited courses are subject to GST and this is included in the price advertised online.

As soon as you have placed an order with Food Safety First you can log on and get started with the course straightaway.

Upon successful payment, you will receive three emails within a few minutes:

1. A welcome email containing your user name and password

2. A course enrolment detail with instructions for accessing the course

3. A copy of a tax invoice for your records (please note that accredited training courses in Australia are GST exclusive).

To enrol in the course, you simply need to supply us with your name, address and other contact details.

Later on, we ask you for further personal details including:

  • Unique Student Identifier (USI)
  • Date of Birth
  • Gender
  • Employment status
  • When you left school
  • Where you were born and what language you speak at home
  • Other traineeships or qualifications that you’ve completed
  • Disabilities
  • Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander status
  • Your reason for studying

We are required to ask you the above by law in order to comply with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015.

We also ask you to tell us how satisfied you were with the course and to give us some ideas on how we can improve in future.

You can rest assured that all data we collect is kept secure and private. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our policies and procedures on complaints and appeals are designed to establish a fair and equitable company process and procedure for dealing with client/participant complaints and appeals.

Complaint & Appeal Procedures

If you are studying with Food Safety First, then you must complete a Complaint or Appeal Form as appropriate, both of which are located here.

You will receive written acknowledgement of your complaint within 7 working days, and where possible a resolution will be sought within the same time period. Please refer to the Participant Handbook for further information about how the process works.

When you start your course, you will be asked to supply your Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you don’t already have a USI you’ll be asked to create one.

The USI system is a Government initiative launched on 1st January 2015, making it compulsory for all students participating in nationally recognised training to have this unique reference ID. The reference ID is 10 characters long and is comprised of numbers and letters. You can apply for a USI here. Once you have a USI, this unique number is assigned to you permanently.

One of the benefits of having this USI is that you can easily access details of any nationally recognised training that you have completed by looking it up on the USI website. This means that if you lose your Statement of Attainment, can’t remember the units that formed your qualification or don’t know the name of the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that issued your qualification it doesn’t matter, as all of this information is stored in one central location.

If you are exempt from requiring an USI, then the results of your training will not be accessible through the Commonwealth and will not appear on any authenticated transcript prepared by the Registrar.

Please note that your USI is different to the student ID that you were provided by Food Safety First when you enrolled onto the course.



Applying for a Unique Student Identifier (USI) is free of charge and just takes a few minutes to do.

Begin by visiting the USI website. You’ll need to have a form of ID ready to complete your application. This could be any of the following:

  • Driver’s Licence
  • Medicare Card
  • Australian Passport
  • Visa
  • Australian Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Registration by Descent
  • Citizenship Certificate
  • ImmiCard

You’ll then need to supply some personal information including your name, date of birth, place of birth, gender and country in which you intend to study.

Finally, you need to provide answers to some check questions that you will be asked the next time you try to access the website.

Once you have completed the online form, you will be issued with a USI that can be used to access your account and check training details at any time.

All of our forms are located here.

The forms that are available at this location are:

  • Participant Information Handbook
  • Information Release Form
  • Statutory Declaration Form
  • National Recognition Application Form
  • Complaints Form
  • Refund Request Form
  • Appeals Form
  • RPL Application Form
  • SOA Reissue Request