Canberra night market linked to food poisoning outbreak

April 29, 2016

The night noodle markets in Canberra are a popular destination for both tourists and locals, running each year in March. However visitors this year suffered a nasty aftermath after at least 3 suffered from gastroenteritis after a night at the markets.

The unfortunate sufferers became ill with diarrhoea, stomach aches and bouts of vomiting 10 to 13 hours after consuming contaminated food items. The name of the stall causing the outbreak has not been disclosed.

ACT Health were contacted to investigate after the market managers raised concerns. Environmental Health Officers then carried out careful inspections of the premises that supplied food for this stall. They discovered food potentially out of temperature control and immediately disposed of it. They continued their inspections of all stalls at the noodle markets until they drew to a close.

ACT Health has since confirmed that the hazardous food was removed and that there was no longer any risk to the public. They have not released any further details of the stall owner’s ongoing selling activities or any enforcement actions undertaken as this can adversely affect the business operations.

Although the markets have now closed this incident has raised awareness regarding the importance of food safety regulations and their critical role in protecting the wider public against foodborne illnesses.

Symptoms and treatment

Food poisoning is also known as foodborne illness and usually does not last for more than a few days. Typical symptoms include fever and headaches, stomach aches, diarrhoea, and nausea and vomiting

Treatment usually involves replacing lost fluids by taking electrolytes and small sips of water. Prolonged symptoms can be dangerous causing severe dehydration and sufferers should seek medical advice if they suspect they are suffering from any foodborne illness.