News

September 11, 2015
Over the years, studies have found that chicken is by far the most popular meat in Australia. According to the ABC, the average amount of chicken consumed each year is more than the consumption of lamb and beef combined. However, it is important to remember that chicken comes with its own set of food safety risks. FSANZ has found instances of around 84% of chicken carcasses testing positive for Campylobacter – a bacteria responsible for causing gastroenteritis.…
September 10, 2015
The thunder of horses hooves, bright blooming flowers and the always-dreaded hay fever season all mean one thing – Spring is upon us once again. While this might mean it’s time to put away those bulky winter coats and begin emerging into the sunshine again, it’s also important to know how best to keep yourself and others safe when it comes to food safety – particularly regarding food safety temperatures. One thing Spring invites is outdoor activities. Whether p…
August 31, 2015
A Monash University student café has been forced to close its doors for two days in order to clean up its act following a string of disastrous council inspections found a multitude of food safety breaches. Eight council health inspections found that Clayton’s Cafe Student Curries and Pizza restaurant failed to provide a safe and clean food premises, resulting in the business and its former director copping more than AUD $67,000 in fines and court costs. Accord…
August 18, 2015
A man in Singapore was forced to have his hands and feet amputated after suffering an extreme bout of food poisoning caused by raw fish. The operation was performed on the 50-year-old father of two after he experienced a severe reaction to life-saving medication prescribed to him to treat his fever, vomiting and diarrhoea. Tan Whee Boon, who has told Singapore reporters of his horrific experience, was rushed to hospital the morning after eating yusheng, the di…
August 14, 2015
The Indian government has filed a lawsuit for illegal business practices against Maggi’s parent company Nestlé after the recent instant noodle ban. Earlier this year Indian food safety regulator Uttar Pradesh allegedly found traces of MSG and excessive levels of lead in Maggi instant noodle packets. The scandal that followed has made global headlines and led to other countries, including Australia, banning the popular products. Now the Indian government is su…
August 6, 2015
Victorian butcher’s claim tough new industry guidelines are forcing small producers to stop selling meat. PrimeSafe, the meat licensing authority in Victoria, have reportedly released strict new regulations that target the dry-ageing beef process. According to an article this week on the GoodFood news blog, the new guidelines require lab tests and expensive dry-ageing equipment, which can cost tens of thousands of dollars. These new regulations are alleged to…
July 23, 2015
Claims have come out this week that Melbourne’s prestigious Langham Hotel, which was linked to a serious salmonella outbreak earlier this week, was previously ‘infested with cockroaches, mice and other vermin’. Investigations have found that 60 guests who dined on High Tea at the hotel on 11 and 12 July have been struck-down with food poisoning, six of which required hospitalisation. A source has reportedly told the Herald Sun that the kitchen of the iconic ho…
July 21, 2015
India’s food safety authority is once again showing they’re cracking down on food and drink imports with Jacob’s Creek wines seemingly the latest target. Food Standards and Authority India (FSSAI) stopped imports from Australia’s largest wine company late last year after reports from food safety regulators alleged the wine contained tartaric acid. Pernod Ricard India, the company responsible for importing Jacob’s Creek wine, is currently fighting against the i…
July 16, 2015
Mobile food van owners Lachlan and Cameron Hope have spoken out the Gladstone Observer about the challenges they faced when starting their food business. The pair set up Scrumptious Tatties’, a mobile restaurant that serves home-style jacket potatoes and salads, just over a year ago. In an interview with the Observer Cameron Hope admitted that setting up the business involved more than they had first thought. According to the Gladstone Observer article publish…
July 14, 2015
An American man has put his health at risk after consuming 120 raw eggs in a live performance on reality TV show America’s Got Talent. Patrick ‘Deep Dish’ Bertoletti, a 30-year-old cook from Chicago, astounded both the judges and the audience when he drank four glass jugs filled to the brim with raw eggs. Bertoletti, who owns his own food truck, is a self-described ‘extreme eater’ who competes professionally in various eating competitions. The dangers of raw…
July 7, 2015
Public health researchers are calling for the new Health Star Rating system to apply to fast food outlets as a way to better inform consumers of the nutritional facts surrounding exactly what they’re eating. The Health Star Rating scheme is a labelling system that rates the overall nutritional information of packaged foods. The ratings vary from ½ a star to 5 stars and are designed to be an easy to understand and consistent way for consumers to compare foods.…
June 25, 2015
Two Sydney butchers have been hit with a combined total of more than AUD $21,000 in fines and extra costs after being prosecuted for manufacturing meat products that were found to contain illegal amounts of sulphur dioxide. The first case involved a Sydney butcher who was fined AUD $12,950 by the NSW Food Authority and forced to pay AUD $3,870 in additional costs. The butcher was prosecuted after the NSW Food Authority found sulphur dioxide present in minced be…
June 23, 2015
Queensland’s Ebuta Goat Dairy is recalling their raw goats milk from Townsville stores after traces of E. coli were found to have contaminated the products. The Ebuta Goat Dairy, which are permitted to sell unpasteurised goats milk products to the public, are currently rushing to recall all ‘Ebuta Dairy Goats Milk Unpasteurised’ that was packaged between: 11.06.2015 – 17.06.2015, has fresh use-by dates between: 20.06.2015 – 27.06.2015 or frozen use-by dates bet…
June 18, 2015
A recent food safety scandal surrounding some of Maggi’s noodle products have led to Australian authorities suspending instant noodles packets that are imported from India. The company, which has reportedly lost hundreds of millions of dollars since the scandal first broke, is alleged to have produced instant noodle products that contain well over India’s acceptable levels of both lead and MSG. Noodles will be held and inspected On 11 June, together with the…
June 17, 2015
Starbucks stores in India have rid their shelves of many of their famous flavoured syrups after local food safety inspectors have determined them unsafe. The coffee giant has bowed to the pressure of their governing food authority who reportedly rejected the products on an ‘assessment of risk and safety’. Although specific reasons about why the products were found unsafe were not provided to the company, the 75 affected Starbucks stores withdrew the syrups, wh…