News

September 29, 2017
Raw oysters and shellfish harvested in Tasmania have been banned from import and sale into Hong Kong according to a directive issued this week. The announcement was made by the food safety authority of China’s Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) after a batch of oysters were identified as containing the Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxin. The affected oysters were from Blackman Bay Lease 44 however all oysters and shellfish from the region a…
July 18, 2017
Residents of Western Australia are struggling through a terrible year for stomach bugs. Just last month the Australian Institute of Food Safety reported that a record high of 713 cases of Salmonella had been recorded already in 2017. That number has now exploded with 4076 cases of gastrointestinal disease reported so far this year, 1566 of which have been linked to the consumption of uncooked eggs. Australian Medical Association WA president Dr Omar Khorshid e…
June 15, 2017
After only three months of operations, a game meat processor based in Charleville in Queensland has been issued with a Suspension Notice from Safe Food Queensland. Barco Queensland began operations at the plant in March this year and had 25 employees working on the premises. The Charleville plant received carcasses from 30 kangaroo shooters which were then skinned on the premises before being sent to premises belonging to parent company, Millennium Pet Foods, f…
March 23, 2017
Five confirmed cases of salmonella poisoning have been linked to pies baked by The Pork Pie Shop in Victor Harbor, South Australia, with other non-confirmed cases also being reported throughout the state. The source of the outbreak was identified on Wednesday this week after four people between the ages of 54 and 80 were hospitalised after eating the items. Both the Ascot pies and pork pies produced by the bakery are thought to be affected. The Pork Pie Shop b…
January 10, 2017
Would you eat a possum? Whether salivating or spewing at the thought, it’s looking more likely this year in South Australia. Did you know that game meats such as goat, rabbit, hare, kangaroo and wallaby can be slaughtered, sold and consumed legally in SA already? However, there are changes coming into effect that will mean buffalo, camel, deer, donkey, horse, kangaroo, rabbit, possum or wallaby killed in the wild will also become legal to eat. Animal welfare g…
December 20, 2016
Christmas is a time of sharing and caring. Friends and family are embraced, gifts are exchanged, and of course, food is eaten. In a time of such joy, many forget to consider food safety when preparing, transporting and storing their festive feast. Preparing food If making meals at home, you must always wash your hands thoroughly and keep equipment clean. Once meals have finished cooking, it’s important to place them into a refrigerator or freezer once they sto…
December 16, 2016
Every year around Christmas, there’s a spike in food poisoning incidents across Australia. There are a number of factors that contribute to this – the warmer weather, the preparation of foods that we’re not accustomed to cooking, and the prevalence of leftovers. Of course, there are many benefits that come along with saving leftovers. Saving food for use at a later date can help to prevent overeating. It can help avoid waste and save your family money. What’s m…
December 9, 2016
Hundreds of people in 10 different countries have been found to be suffering from Salmonella Enteritidis due to contaminated eggs. 360 people are known to have been affected by the outbreak, which has been traced to eggs from a producer in Poland. So far, it is believed to have caused one death. According to the European Food Safety Authority, it was thought that the outbreak had run its course after 260 cases in 7 countries were identified between May and Oct…
November 10, 2016
The main role of a business’s Food Safety Supervisor is to ensure that the customers, staff and the business itself are kept safe. To do this the Food Safety Supervisor needs to be aware of what their responsibilities are know how to meet them – which is why it is essential to complete the proper training. The role of a Food Safety Supervisor is to monitor and maintain food safety in a food business. This is an important role and carries with it certain respons…
October 12, 2016
A study published in the Medical Journal of Australia, and conducted by researchers at the University of Western Australia, has found that food products imported into Australia labelled “gluten-free” often contain gluten. The presence of gluten in imported food products is mostly due to the Australian definition of gluten-free being different from the international standard. The Australian standard dictates that foods labelled gluten-free must contain “no dete…
September 22, 2016
The majority of people don’t realise that the most germ-ridden place in their household is the kitchen. Due to the preparation of raw food products, the kitchen makes the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Unlike restaurants, home kitchens are not formally examined by health inspectors and most of us do not have formal training in how to manage food properly. For this reason, it’s important for us to be aware of the potential dangers lurking in our kitchens…
August 30, 2016
Between selection, purchase and preparation there is a lot to consider when buying fresh produce. This guide will show you the food safety hazards to avoid and the tips and tricks that can make your produce selection more nutritious and more cost effective. From supermarket shelf to your kitchen counter, this is Food Safety First’s top tips for buying fruit and vegetables. Don’t buy produce that is bruised or damaged It’s a great place for bacteria to hide and…
August 3, 2016
Four children were hospitalised in a school in Deception Bay on Monday after ingesting what was believed to be a new type of ‘popping candy’. Deception Bay North State School were faced with a toxic emergency after a 9 year old girl fed a poisonous campfire product to 25 of her peers. One of the students, Leilani Nanai was the first to try the product and told 612 ABC that “the girl who was giving it out had ripped the part of the packet where it said ‘fire’ to…
July 25, 2016
It’s not what any food business wants to experience – multiple foodborne outbreaks occurring and harming customers. As an operator in the food industry, there is a great deal of expectation and responsibility to ensure any food served is safe. When this fails it can have a significant impact on a business’ reputation and profits. Take the recent case with U.S. fast food chain Chipotle Mexican Grill, who illustrates why food safety should always be top priority…
July 5, 2016
Did you know more Australians are choosing to eat out over making a home cooked meal? According to research by Ipsos, they have found Australians are dining-out and ordering take away food like never before. On average once a week or 4.6 times per month. This ‘eating out more’ trend is also expected to become the new norm for Australians after data in the US revealed sales at restaurants, bars and take away shops overtook spending at grocery stores for the fir…