Charlie Sheen struck down by dodgy clams

June 11, 2015

Charlie Sheen has been rushed to hospital this week suffering severe food poisoning after eating dodgy clams.

Around 11pm on Monday night the 49 year-old actor reportedly called an ambulance to his Los Angeles home after falling sick from eating a take-away seafood pasta meal.

Despite sources hinting that the hospital visit was due to something a little more scandalous, Jeff Ballard, Sheen’s agent, confirmed to the media that the Two and a Half Men star was taken to hospital after eating ‘bad clams’.

“Just to be on the safe side, he went to hospital. They checked him out, hydrated him and sent him on his way. He was back home in bed 90 minutes later,” Ballard told the MailOnline.

The importance of practising good food safety

Seafood is high-risk when it comes to food safety and the proper steps must be taken when handling and preparing seafood meals. Food in transportation must also follow the correct food safety practises, particularly regarding being kept at the correct temperature.

Foods that are not kept at the correct temperature are considered to be in the ‘Danger Zone’ and have a higher-risk of increased bacteria growth, which can lead to food poisoning.

In Australia the Food Safety Supervisor is responsible for making sure that all food workers have the proper food safety knowledge to minimise the chances of causing illness.

If you need to do your Food Safety Supervisor training or just want to learn a little more about food safety – check out our course page!