A pregnant NSW woman has reportedly made a gruesome discovery when she took a bite of a Krispy Kreme doughnut only to find a cigarette butt cooked into the centre. A friend of the horrified woman took to social media about the shocking find and posted pictures of the alleged incident on the company’s Facebook page.
‘Earlier this afternoon I was with my friend whilst she was eating a Krispy Kreme donut, she took a bite into her donut and spat it back out, to find a cigarette butt cooked into the donut,’ wrote the woman’s friend.
‘This could have seriously affected the health of not only my friend but her 5 month old unborn child’, added the woman in her post, which has since been removed. ‘We are seriously disgusted by this!’
Krispy Kreme’s reply
In a statement to the Daily Mail Australia, Krispy Kreme said they were aware of the allegations and were taking steps to investigate. They also added that the company, which it says is built on quality, takes all health and safety concerns very seriously.
‘Food safety and the health and wellbeing of all Krispy Kreme customers are of the utmost importance,’ read the statement.
‘This issue is being investigated both in Australia and in consultation with our US franchisor Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation.’
Whether the alleged incident has been reported to the NSW Food Authority is yet unclear.